Housing Development Manager
What’s the role?
- Housing Development Officer
- Fixed Term Contract to 31 March 2025
- Salary of £32,909 - £35,411 (pay award pending)
- An annual leave balance of 27 days per annum
- A generous mileage allowance
- The purpose of the role is to identify opportunities, which will bring forward new affordable housing projects, which contribute to the Homes in Sedgemoor (and Somerset Council’s) new build affordable housing growth plans.
- Develop a pipeline of development projects which will include the remodelling, re-purposing and-or regeneration of Council owned homes and other assets. Additionally, could include land-led initiatives and joint ventures with external partners including developers to deliver s106 sites.
- Ensure that new opportunities align to and underpin our strategic goals around Sustainability and Climate Change.
- Undertake Option Appraisals for schemes which meet our agreed criteria.
- The production and promotion of business case reports (along with supporting information) in respect of for new projects and to oversee the progress of reports throughout the governance/sign-off process.
- Develop effective channels of communication with a range of internal and external stakeholders to help facilitate new affordable housing initiatives.
- Work alongside others to help manage a portfolio of affordable housing projects - specifically day-to-day responsibility for the direct delivery of new affordable homes.
- Develop a pipeline of opportunities that will ensure we meet HiS’ and Somerset Council’s strategic growth plans for affordable housing.
- Ensure that in developing our pipeline, consideration is given to the Local Plan, housing needs information, existing communities, financial viability and the potential for funding.
- Identify opportunities for grants and other funding and take an active role in the preparation of funding applications and claims.
- Manage and administer buy-back opportunities.
- Review current option appraisal arrangements and undertake option appraisals as required
- Instruct and liaise with architects, contractors, consultants and funders on a day-to-day operational basis.
- Help produce and collate performance information and returns to various organisations as required.
- Work in collaboration with HiS colleagues and Somerset Council to ensure that services are joined up and are delivered to meet the housing needs of the County.
- Act as a point of contact for the Development team for general communications with current and future stakeholders.
- Assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of current and future development strategies and policies. Ensure that we have effectives arrangements in place to support resident engagement.
- Develop high quality channels of communication, publicity and information
- Support and assist wider team through the delivery
- Process of projects through key milestones, dealing with a range of development and associated legal agreements associated with approved projects.
- To build relationships with the wider housing development industry and supply chain.
- Deputise for the Housing Development Team Leader as required.
- A development qualification would be of benefit.
- Previous experience working within the housing development or construction sector, planning, regeneration or similar and/or a professional qualification in project management or similar.
- Experience of preparing project briefs and business/resource plans.
- Demonstrable understanding of how to deliver new build housing projects and issues associated with building affordable housing.
- Experience working in the housing development sector (with Developer(s), registered providers and/or other related partners).
- Demonstrable knowledge (ideally experience) of the development and construction process from inception through to completion and handover.
- Ability to understand construction contracts.
- Demonstrable experience managing stakeholder relationships including communities.
- Proficient in effectively managing and prioritising workloads in pressurised situations, despite interruptions and barriers to progress, being able to manage a significant volume of work with speed and a high degree of accuracy.
- Evidence of producing quality reports and excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Able to undertake routine basic financial appraisals via Proval or similar and good understanding of investment principles and relationship with business case/Housing Revenue Account.
- Strong communication, presentation, negotiation, and interpersonal skills.
- Commercially astute with the ability to interpret and articulate pros and cons of sites and proposals
- Ability to communicate with and influence all parties involved in property matters
- Confidence and ability to successfully negotiate with and influence other property professionals ranging from local entrepreneurial landlords to partners of multi-national agencies and principals of their client institutions.
- An ability to consider the commercial effect on the portfolio of legislation and other property requirements and implement dependent upon and in accordance with the commercial aims of the business.
- A high level of organisational skills and ability to manage multiple projects. Able to plan and organise your work and your time effectively.
- Ability to build and maintain solid working relationships and effectively communicate at any level
- Flexible and adaptable. Able to use own initiative and creative in problem solving.
- Open to change, innovation and improvement.
- You are enthusiastic and take pride in your work.
- Ability to think differently and comes up with a range of ideas and proposes well thought out solutions.
- Computer literacy including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Report to the Housing Development Team Leader
How will I evidence my success?
I will …
- Successfully progressed a number of projects from inception to investment approval sign-off.
- Take a proactive approach in meetings, bringing fresh and innovative ideas to the team.
- Have a positive input (and impact) into the safe delivery of all work streams across HiS.
- Build strong relationships and rapport with team members and other teams across the organisation and with partner organisations.
- Provide excellent service to all our customers and contribute to the continual improvement of the services we deliver to all our customers, both internal and external.
The closing date for applications in 15 August 2023.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary contract, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 18 months
Salary: £32,909.00-£35,411.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Free flu jabs
- Health & wellbeing programme
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- Work from home
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person
Don’t just take our word for it
Good bank of questions
FQPS Academy has been a game-changer for my exam preparation. The extensive collection of practice questions and practical scenarios helped me sharpen my skills and gain confidence. Highly recommended!
Course: SQE1 Preparation
Unique and user-friendly
I cannot recommend FQPS Academy enough. The platform's user-friendly interface, coupled with the vast bank of practice questions, made my exam preparation both effective and enjoyable.
Course: SQE1 & SQE2 Preparation
Very useful material
FQPS Academy has been my go-to resource for SQE exam preparation. The ability to access unlimited practice material and the continuous updates kept my studies dynamic and up to date. FQPS Academy truly helped me take my preparation to the next level
Course: SQE1 & SQE2 Preparation
One of the best
FQPS Academy made my exam preparation journey much smoother and more effective. The access to a vast library of practice material, combined with the user-friendly interface, made studying enjoyable. I am grateful for FQPS Academy's role in my success on the exam day.
Course: SQE1 & SQE2 Preparation
Join the FQPS Academy Community!
Sign up for our newsletter and stay informed about our latest content, the newest SRA updates, upcoming deadlines, and more. Plus, you'll receive a special gift tailored just for you.